Monthly Archives: January 2018

Turkey Resumes Visa Application Services for US Travelers

The Washington Post reports that after suspending visa services for Americans, the country has partially lifted this directive.  U.S. travelers can now apply for visas at Turkish embassies and consulates, including the mission at 2525 Massachusetts Ave NW in Washington. However, Americans are still restricted from obtaining a visa through two previously-available channels: the online system called e-Visa and visa booths at Turkish airports. To apply for a visa, one can start by filling out the online form and selecting a date for an in-person appointment with consular services. The next available appointment could be two weeks out, so it’s best to plan accordingly. For the interview, one must bring a bank statement, proof of travel insurance, a passport photo, a passport (valid for at least six months after time of entry), travel itinerary, and $160 in cash. The process takes about five business days.
Read more

Passport Changes Are Coming in 2018

CondeNastTraveler reports that the passport renewal process is getting a complete overhaul, with hopes of moving from paper to digital in 2018. So what changes do you need to know about in order to leave the country in 2018? Currently, in order to check how far along your passport is in the application or renewal process, you have to check the State Department’s website. In 2018, you will instead receive status updates via email or SMS texts, keeping applicants as up-to-date as possible on their application status.  Additionally, a new platform will allow you to renew your passport online, eliminating the need for late-night trips to Walgreens to rush off your application the next morning.  Another drastic change coming in 2018 is that you may need a passport to fly domestically. Effective January 22, 2018, air travelers with a driver’s license that doesn’t meet Real ID Act requirements will have to use an alternative form of ID in order to board a domestic flight.  U.S. passport cards and passport books are both acceptable forms of ID, but if you don’t have either and are from a state that hasn’t been given an extension, you’d better apply for a passport now.
Read more